There are three things that happen every May that I look forward to – my younger brother’s birthday, Mother’s Day, and Memorial Day Weekend. The first two usually happen at the beginning of the month, and then there are 2-3 straight weeks of misery (aka now) where I’m bombarded with images of people graduating, reminding me that I am *still* in school.
Once I “you ain’t gotta go home” myself out of my graduation season pity party, I’m usually left scrambling to get my whole life together so I can flex on Memorial Day weekend – the unofficial first day of the summer. Cue a week of frantic dieting and exercise, bathing suit shopping, and debating whether my shorts are too short (nope) and if my booty looks good (yuppp).
This time though, I only allowed myself to be in a depressed funk for 3 days, and I’ve already started getting ready for Memorial Day weekend. I’ve got a ton of bathing suits to wear, I’ve been pescetarian for 3 weeks and already feel much healthier, and I’ve started the process of getting my legs soft and silky so I can wear mini skirts and booty shorts (ok normal length skirts and shorts).
Here are 5 more other ways you can get ready for Memorial Day
- Buy a bathing suit that makes you happy, even if you’re not totally happy with your body.
- Get a protective hairstyle! Seriously do it, you don’t need your hair getting in the way of the beach, or smelling like BBQ (some vaca friendly hairstyles coming next week).
- Buy a white dress – you’ll need it for all the white parties! Seriously, what’s wrong with us black folks and white parties?
- GET A PEDICURE. Don’t try to DIY this. For the world’s sake.
- Drink one extra glass of water a day. More water will help clear your skin and clear skin = less makeup, and less makeup = less chance of concealer running down your face onto your white dress!